Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fortune Subscription...

Some time around the beginning of the stock downturn, I received a call...

"Hi! You are selected. You are the consumer we selected to offer you a price cut for early subscription to Time Magazine. You can enjoy the price cut for subscription to Fortune too."

Actually, I decided to refuse the early subscription ... because I would like to "reserve" some time for reading books... But the sales continued "Yeah, reading book is good. I agree. But, did you find yourself something that cannot be found on the book when you read Time." I said, "yes". She continued, "so why stop reading magazine? blah... blah... blah..."

At last, I paid for the early subscription when I was facing my own credit crunch and recession ...


However, I do not regret on paying money for the subscription. Instead, I am inspired by the subscription to Fortune.

An article I read on the minibus today ... the March 17 copy ... http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/fortune/0803/gallery.jobsqna.fortune/index.html
(yes, I'm still reading the March 17 ... but today is April 15 ... thx god for giving me 24 hours but not 24 hours plus a second... ^^" I'm having "time crunch")

This is an article with an interview with Steve ... The Apple CEO.

The reason of my inspiration can be deduced by some quotes from the interview ...

Apple's focus?? - People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to
focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the 100
other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I'm actually as
proud of many of the things we haven't done as the things we have done.

Surely, people who knows me knows that I am a guy who won't satisfy. When I have a job, it might be challenging at the beginning. When I solve the challenge, I find another one. But, the existing one is still in progress .... I always make a bad gag with myself ... I am a multi-core processor~ I can handle multiple threads at the same time~ As a result, I have no focus, but foci. Those shallow foci make me get into trouble with "time crunch".

What drives Apple employees?? - We don't get a chance to do that many things,
and every one should be really excellent. Because this is our life. Life is
brief, and then you die, you know? So this is what we've chosen to do with our
life.

To re-cap the quote from Steve's Stanford Commencement Speech- "The only way to do great work is to love what you do; if you haven't find it yet, keep looking and don't settle" and "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living in someone else life".

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

Dealing with roadblocks - There always seems to come a moment where it's just
not working. Take the iPhone. We had a different enclosure design for this
iPhone until way too close to the introduction to ever change it. And I came in
one Monday morning, and I said, "I just don't love this. I can't convince myself
to fall in love with this. And this is the most important product we've ever
done." And we pushed the reset button. ... It was hell because we had to go to
the team and say, "All this work you've for the last year, we're going to have
to throw it away and start over, and we're going to have to work twice as hard
now because we don't have enough time." And you know what everybody said? "Sign
us up". That happens more than you'd think, because this is not just engineering
and science. There is art too.

Actually, something I made for the future ... (yeah, if you're guessing right, I'm talking about the fyp) ... is disaster... Am I going to start over again^^?

finding talent - When I hire somebody really senior, competence is the ante. The
have to be really smart. But the real issue for me is, Are they going to fall in
love with Apple? Because if they fall in love with Apple, everything else will
take care of itself.

I am not smart. But, surely I'm already in love with the tech. By the way, am I already fall in love with the stuff I'm going to do? I'm not quite sure yet.

catching tech's next wave - Things happen fairly slow, you know. They do. These
waves of technology, you can see them way before they happen, and you just have
to choose wisely which ones you're going to surf. If you choose unwisely, then
you can waste a lot of energy, but if you choose wisely, it actually unfolds
fairly slowly.

I identified a wave. I don't know whether I should catch it now. But I know I won't stay and watch. The way why Intel is "Leap Ahead" because they dig a big deep hole, putting a lot fertilizers, and keep growing the seed by water and sunshine. Finally, a big tree comes out.



At last, frankly speaking, I totally agree with the sales ... "You can get something from the magazine which you can't find in the book"

No response to “Fortune Subscription...”

 
© 2009 Emptiness Blogging. All Rights Reserved | Powered by Blogger
Design by psdvibe | Bloggerized By LawnyDesignz